Saturday, February 23, 2008

The parenting manual


Andy and I took a Baby Basic Care class on Thursday night. It was very informative. There was info about the different ways babies look when they are born, like baby acne and rashes... Common occurrences like dry skin and swollen parts. We learned how to bathe, change, swaddle, and dress plastic dolls. hahaha.  Andy was so cute, he put the diaper on backwards. I think he was just not paying attention because it seemed a little silly to dress the doll. I mean, baby's are nothing like dolls. I did a great job swaddling the baby nice and tight, but I'm sure a REAL baby with REAL moving parts will be harder.  Still, we learned about things no one really tells you about, like not putting the infant in a car seat while wearing a snowsuit. Makes sense, right? but I bet if you don't have kids you've never heard that before. They really pushed the SIDS stuff too. I guess Marathon County has the highest rate of SIDS deaths in the state, so they really stress on it. They made it sound like half of all babies die of SIDS though... (really, there is no need to scare me, I'm scared enough!).
I had the hiccups through the entire class. The nurse teaching us laughed and said "Sounds like someone had too much to drink!" I calmly explain that I've had the hiccups since I was 5 weeks pregnant (meanwhile I'm really thinking how badly I want a beer). Everyone in the classroom make an empathetic cooing noise. She says that hiccups are extremely common, and I look around at everyone in the class and I can tell by the looks on their faces that I'm the only one that has suffered these "common consistent hiccups".  I say a silent prayer that at least they are little and I don't sound like a dying donkey.
So.. we went back to school to learn how to play with dolls and take care of babies. When we came home, we found our puppy had puked everywhere. *sigh* I guess no matter how many classes you take, you can never be prepared for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment