Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Barenaked


Have you ever had that dream where you're walking naked down the street?
and everyone just stares...
I often feel something similar to this. The kind of foreboding that looms with the idea of going out into the public.  I don't know how I got so caught up in the idea of beauty. The waif-like thinness that is portrayed even in my health magazines.  Even knowing that many models are sick, air-brushed, and that I look pretty damn good too when I have my make-up and hair done... still doesn't put my mind at ease when I look into the mirror.  I often wonder what DaVinci and Vangoh thought of their own paintings when they looked at them. Did they see a masterpiece that would be hanging in a museum hundreds of years later? Or did they think it was crap?   Nobody takes the time to look at the paint that makes the masterpiece.   
So maybe I might be doing a little soul searching of my own... and maybe I might sound like a Dove campaign for beauty commercial...  But rejoice in your own beauty.. Because while one person might see an ugly scar on your cheek, you see a chicken pox scar where you got to stay home from school for a week and spend it with your brother and sister. While someone else might make fun of you because your roots are growing in... you can see exactly when you were a brunette, a blonde, and a red-head at the same time. And if someone else thinks I've gained weight, all I see is an acceptance of my love for homemade macaroni and cheese.  While hair cuts and pant styles may not have been the most flattering, at least I tried them... 
Rejoice in the paint that makes your masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment